Chris L. Smith
Johnson C Smith University
Florida State University
College of Law
Senator Smith began his public service as a youth. He continued this service after college by serving on local boards with the City of Fort Lauderdale. In 1995 he was appointed to the City's Planning and Zoning Board. In 1998 Sen. Smith was elected to the Florida House of Representatives, serving the City of Fort Lauderdale and six surrounding municipalities. In his third term, he was elected Democratic Leader of the Florida House of Representatives.
After being term-limited out of the House of Representatives, Senator Smith was elected to the Florida Senate in 2008 representing Broward and Palm Beach County. After redistricting Senator Smith represented 14 municipalities in Central Broward County. In only the third year of his first term, Senator Smith was once again elected Democratic Leader of his chamber. As Democratic Leader, Senator Smith once again set Democratic policy on local and statewide issues.
Senator Smith was recently appointed to the Constitution Revision Commission. The Constitution Revision Commission meets for approximately one year. Commissioners travel the state to receive public testimony, identify issues, perform research, and recommend ballot language to the secretary of state.
Senator Smith has discussed Florida law and politics on many national and local programs, such as CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, NPR, the Jim Defede Show, the Michael Putney Show, and numerous other media outlets.
Senator Smith is a graduate of Johnson C Smith University, in Charlotte, North Carolina, and a graduate of the Florida State University College of Law.
• Mcbride Lodge 380 - PHA
• Tj Reddick Bar Association
• Chris Smith All-Star Classic - Chair
• Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity- Zeta Alpha Lambda Chapter
• Urban League of Broward County
• Mount Bethel Community Development Corp.- Chair
• Dorsey Riverbend Homeowners Association - Board Member
• Light House Point Keeper 2004
• Named With His Wife Pat As Celebrate The Century Honorees, Children's Home Society's Intracoastal Division 1999
• Recognized As One Of The Region's Best Lawyers, The South Florida Business Journal